Bluethumb is Australia's largest online art marketplace (over 17,000 artists and growing) and has been growing strongly now for over 9 years. We're have two physical galleries (Melbourne and Adelaide) and the team spread across various countries (Singapore, New Zealand, Japan, US and Russia).
We are looking for a full-stack Ruby on Rails developer to join our cross-cultural team of six in-house RoR and QA engineers to continually build new features and improve existing UX.
What's nice about Bluethumb?
- We work in three week sprints giving our team the ability to work in their own time with ample support and mentoring.
- We've been a remote-first technology company long before the pandemic, some of our engineers have been working remotely for a decade. We know how to build and maintain an effective and friendly remote work environment.
- Fewer meetings and reporting, and more trust. We have only one tech meetings per week (plus another company wide standup) and most of our communication is Slack-based (with ample mentoring as and when needed from the seniors).
- The work you do helps Australian artists build their careers. Many have made their career break on Bluethumb and rely on it for a living. The tech we build is socially impactful!
- You'll work in a small team of awesome engineers focussed on shipping great product, in a complex environment.
- Competitive salary package, birthday cakes, company merch and more.
- Team trivia, online games and virtual hangouts.
The is a remote-first position and we expect a 4-5 hour minimum overlap with AEST https://www.remotenearby.com/overlaps/my%E2%9D%86melbourne. We have offices in Adelaide & Melbourne, so bonus points if you are in either of these two cities.
2 years of traceable production Ruby on Rails experience (excluding boot camps). To succeed in this role, along with Ruby on Rails, you will be confident and experienced in front-end development. Knowledge in DevOps, QA, or Data Science a plus.
⚒️ Tech stack
All our developers are full-stack and get really varied new experience; with a mix of front-end (solid level Vanilla and Vue.js), back-end (Ruby, Rails, Hanami), and DevOps (Docker Swarm/AWS), doing short sprints and bigger projects. Our ideal candidate:
– Ruby on Rails savvy
– Confident using Slim templates engine, CSS/SCSS/Tailwind, Vanilla JS/UJS/Vue.js
– Has production experience with Elasticsearch and Postgres
– Can demonstrate an advanced level of rspec usage
– Familiar with giving and taking code reviews
– Comfortable with occasional pair programming
– Ready to adjust to development guidelines
✏️ Application and process
- Please send an application tailored to this position (Generic templates and dry cover letters are hard work and seldom impressive).
- Introduce yourself as you would in a face-to-face interview. First impressions matter, so please do take your time with the application.
- We are keen to learn more about your past/current projects. We’d like to see examples of software you’ve written. The actual code. We appreciate that it can be hard to share representative samples when you’ve been working on commercial software, so anything you can scrape together will be good.
- If you have open source contributions, those are really helpful as well.
Nice to have
- Data Science knowledge and experience
- iOS (swift)
- JS testing best practices
- Front-end performance optimisation
Benefits & Perks
- Building awesome tech - front end and backend.
- With a team of 4 awesome devs already you'll make a big impact, and see the results of your work.
- Your projects are used by real world artists in real time and you can see their feedback immediately (we have 15000+ artists using our site).
- Work in a fun, friendly team with heaps of experience.
- Regular team trivia and v-hangouts.
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible working hours.
- Balanced workload.
- No bureaucracy.
- Unlimited room for growth.