Sourcefabric is seeking an experienced software engineer to lead the Airtime Pro development team which is based in Canada, USA and Czech republic. Looking for your next challenge? Read on.
What is Airtime Pro?
Airtime Pro is one of the leading platforms for streaming radio on the web, allowing anyone to schedule tracks and go live with their own internet radio station.
Airtime Pro is built by a non-profit organisation, Sourcefabric, which builds a variety of open source tools for media organisations all over the world.
- You’ve been there before… You have an excellent understanding of object-oriented design and design patterns, plus you have experience working on at least a couple, large SaaS products (100K LOC).
- You’re a leader. You’re comfortable managing software projects through. the entire software development lifecycle, and the people that go with it.
- You’re a generalist… You’re fluent with a couple of programming. languages, and you’re comfortable diving into new code and finding ways to improve it.
- You have a wide breadth of experience but are an expert in a handful of areas. New languages and frameworks don’t phase you.
- You know the web. You have experience building web applications with at least one major web framework.
- You know Linux like the back of your hand. You’re comfortable with a shell and have experience with a variety of open source software such as PostgreSQL and Apache.
- You’re methodical. You’re diligent with design, execution, and testing.
- You’re sharp. You have an excellent ability to problem solve, troubleshoot, take initiative, and are a quick learner.
- You’re analytical and a critical thinker. You’re prepared to set high expectations for yourself and your team and try to beat them.
- You’ve got ideas to spare.
- You will be consulted on application design and product feature decisions and you won’t shy away from sharing your expertise.
- You bring a lot of new ideas to the table on ways we can improve our working processes and on new technologies we can leverage.
While the Following Aren't Deal Breakers, It would be Great if you had:
- A BSc or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, MSc preferred
- 2+ shipped SaaS or desktop software products
- Deep knowledge of Linux system internals and low-level tools (think strace and gdb)
- A working knowledge of deployment and operational best practices for large web applications (continuous integration & delivery, etc.)
- Experience managing a software development team
- Well versed in modern development practices (Agile, TDD)
- A background with digital audio is a plus
- Airtime Pro is architected as a multi-tenant PHP web application, with mission-critical supporting services written in Python, and a third-party audio engine rendering playback.
- As a Lead Developer, you’ll be responsible for the design and engineering of new features for our core application, but will also have the opportunity to work on many different systems. You will be supported by other developers, a DevOps team, QA, and designers.
- Lead the Airtime Pro development team and manage software development process (Agile SCRUM)
- Prioritizing development tasks
- Working with the Product Manager, Infrastructure Lead, and support team to expand the product roadmap
- Reviewing code
- Optimizing codebase and page load performance
- Maintaining Airtime Pro PHP web application
- Designing and implementing new features for Airtime Pro
- Troubleshooting and bug fixing
- Modernizing the codebase
- Expanding automated test coverage
- Working with support team to increase support scalability and service
What We Offer
At Sourcefabric, we know how to work hard, but we also know how to have fun. Our employees are so much more than their jobs, and we recognise that and celebrate it in many ways. From marathon runners to music composers, we continue to learn new and interesting things about our fellow employees every day.