**Note: **Although this is a remote position, we are currently only seeking candidates in time zones that align with Europe (UTC 0 to UTC +2, essentially between London and Eastern Europe).
Founded in 2014, Hotjar is a fast growing all-in-one web analytics and feedback solution used on over 250,000 sites worldwide. We are a fully remote startup with over 40 team members based across Europe, US and Canada. As we work towards our ambitious product vision, we require a strong technical leader who can help us build and scale the resources needed to achieve our business objectives.
As Hotjar’s VP of Engineering, you will be:
- Developing a growth strategy to identify key hires for our Product and Engineering department, according to our long term product vision and business goals.
- Actively identifying, hiring, and retaining top talent for Hotjar through networking, partnerships, events and content marketing.
- Owning and participating in the recruitment process for technical candidates and continually optimizing the way candidates are sourced, whilst improving our internal recruitment flow.
- Partnering with stakeholders in product, engineering, and design to plan projects and set realistic roadmap goals according to the resources available.
- Working closely with cross-functional teams to build and roll-out features and improvements on budget and on time.
- Empowering teams to continuously optimise their workflow and experiment with new processes to improve efficiency and remove any obstacles to faster execution.
- Proactively identifying and removing any obstacles that stand in the way of engineering productivity.
- Participating in mentoring, coaching, 1-on-1s, and performance management to help the teams perform at a consistently high-level.
- Developing the team’s industry knowledge, technical proficiencies and essential soft-skills whilst mentoring and empowering engineers to grow into tech leads or specialise in areas key to Hotjar’s success.
- Building and managing onboarding programs for new team members as well as building training programs to maximise growth potential.
- Creating and managing metrics and KPIs for measuring success within the Product and Engineering teams.
About the Role
Hotjar is looking for a strategic and hands-on technical leader based in Europe who is passionate about building and managing engineering teams. We are looking for an individual who aspires to build a world class engineering team by hiring the top talent in Europe. The ideal candidate is process driven and understands the importance of being lean and relentlessly focused on business-critical goals. The position reports directly to the CEO.
- 5+ years experience working in tech SaaS startups or small companies.
- 4+ years experience building and leading high-performing engineering teams.
- 4+ years experience using agile methodologies and/or lean practices.
- A good technical understanding of platform architecture which will allow you to understand and question technical decisions made by our platform team.
- Desire and ability to manage a growing fully remote team growing to 50-70 people in the next 18 months.
- Well connected with developer networks and communities in Europe.
- Proven ability to hire and retain top performing developers in Europe.
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to inspire others.
- Understanding of SaaS metrics such as MRR, ARPA, churn, and LTV.
- Excellent communicator with superior verbal, written, interpersonal, technical and presentation skills.
- Analytical and process-oriented mindset.
- Demonstrated desire for continuous learning and improvement.
- Ability to think critically and problem-solve in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Must submit to a background check confidentially processed by our third party.
Nice to have
- Experience in high growth SaaS startups
- Experience with freemium models
- Experience with global expansion
- Python, PostgreSQL / HBase / S3 / Elasticsearch, front-end technologies.
- Remote & flexible
- Prestigious clients
- Kindle + Personal development budget
- Personal Home office budget
- Make a difference
- Only the best hardware and software
- Work with a very talented team